Millbrook earn point as Seagulls’ run ends – Western League round-up

Mousehole’s unbeaten run in the Western League has ended at nine after the Seagulls suffered a surprise defeat at second-from-bottom Ashton & Backwell United. Sam Price scored the only goal of the game as the Stags triumphed 1-0 at the Lancer Scott Stadium, with Jake Ash’s side slipping to fourth as a result.

Helston Athletic missed the chance to close the gap on their Cornish rivals as they went down by the same score at home to Bridgwater United. Jack Taylor’s eighth-minute penalty proved the difference in a feisty affair which saw visiting midfielder Morgan Williams and Blues defender Jordan Bentley sent off following an altercation in the second half.

Saltash United were also on the wrong end of an single-goal result at Cadbury Heath. Dan Winstone’s first goal of the campaign 16 minutes from time was enough for the Gloucestershire outfit to earn their sixth win of the season, with Dane Bunney’s Ashes slipping to tenth as a result.

Millbrook were the only Cornish side to avoid defeat at the weekend, playing out a stalemate at home to Bitton. The point sees Mackenzie Brown’s side, who were dumped out of the Cornwall Senior Cup by Dobwalls seven days earlier, stretch their unbeaten run in the league to ten games.

A sensational 40-yard volley from Clevedon Town’s Oli Babington helped his side to a 4-2 victory at Buckland Athletic. With the game at Homers Heath still goalless after 14 minutes, Babington, positioned by the touchline, volleyed an attempted clearance into the top corner to give his side the lead in incredible fashion.

The Somerset outfit went on to win 4-2 thanks to further strikes from Elliot Nicholson, Archie Ferris and Alex Kemsley. Buckland replied through Owen Price and Josh Webber.

Two goals in the last five minutes saw leaders Tavistock salvage a point at Wellington and extend their unbeaten run to 15 matches. Tom Stone gave the hosts a half-time lead before Sam Towler’s 75th-minute spot-kick put the Tangerines in control. But Stuart Henderson’s side showed their title credentials with a fine late rally, with Josh Grant halving the deficit on 85 minutes before Liam Prynn rescued a point in the first minute of stoppage time.

Goals from Aarron Denny and Jordan Harris saw second-placed Exmouth Town close the gap on Tavistock and move three points clear of Mousehole after defeating Keynsham Town 2-1 on home soil. The Ks lost Jamie Noble to a second bookable offence on 35 minute, but Callum Baker’s fourth goal of the season gave the visitors late hope of rescuing a point.

Ilfracombe Town moved above Helston into sixth after holding off the challenge of 17th-placed Street to win 3-1 at the Somerset side. Harry Stevens bagged a brace and Liam Short’s 13th of the season secured the points for Combe, with Harry Foster pulling one back for the hosts with his 19th of the campaign.

Joe Morgan scored a hat-trick as Shepton Mallet put six past bottom side Bridport at St Mary’s Field. The visitors raced into a three-goal lead after just 17 minutes in Dorset thanks to goals from Morgan, Nick Hewlett and Nathan Legge. Morgan added two more after the break to complete his treble, taking his tally to 11 for the term, before Jacob Sloggett completed the rout late on.

[Featured image: Colin Bradbury / Cornwall Sports Media]

%d bloggers like this: