Bittersweet draw for Ash’s high-flying Seagulls

Mousehole climbed to their highest league position in the club’s 100-year history following their second goalless draw in five days, writes Ben Garland.

The highly anticipated local derby which saw Helston Athletic take on the Seagulls ended in a stalemate, after a game which saw plenty of drama and frantic action.

Some 408 were in attendance for the third encounter between the two sides this season, with the last two coming in the FA Cup preliminary round and latterly the Les Phillips Cup.

The opening 20 minutes saw several shades of similarity to the goalless draw between Mousehole and Exmouth, played on the weekend, with both sides cancelling each other out and unable to break one another down.

The Seagulls’ first real chance came from Louis Price, whose dominant strength in possession allowed him to play what seemed like a perfectly time through ball to midfielder Jack Calver, only to be denied once the linesman raised his flag.

The visitors would continue to struggle to break down the Helston backline, with usual flair players in Hayden Turner and Tallan Mitchell finding it difficult to beat and get around the strong four in defence.

After his man of the match performance last time out, goalkeeper Ollie Chenoweth was once again kept busy as he denied Reece Shanley’s threatening cross along with Craig Veal’s effort minutes later.

Calver was once again in the heart of the Mousehole attacking force and tried his luck from 25 yards out, only for his shot to fire narrowly wide.

The final five minutes of the first half saw Helston conjure their best spell of the game, as tricky winger Kai Cornish unlocked space on the right passage before being stopped in his tracks by Kyle Fraser as the ball hurdled out for a corner.

The corner itself provided the biggest goal bound threat of the evening thus far, as Aaron Bentley’s header was blocked and cleared off the line, as the Seagulls desperately looked to end the first half with a clean sheet.

In a first half which had few clear-cut chances, it was ultimately the hosts who had the best bunch, with the Seagulls defence being kept on their toes.

With the second half underway, it was the home side who continued their ascendancy as Stuart Bowker went through on goal, before tumbling to ground claiming contact from Chenoweth. Referee Simon Long ushered off the calls, pointing for a goal kick.

The final quarter of the game continued to be a frustrating affair for the Seagulls, with their usual kick tempo football not working and instead long-winded balls over the top dominated proceedings.

Mousehole would have one big chance before the final whistle as Chenoweth’s goal kick picked out Mitchell, who looked to be through on goal, only to be tackled fantastically by Bentley, denying Mousehole of any late celebrations.

For Jake Ash’s it’s ultimately a bitter sweet feeling. Whilst they go up a spot into second, it now means league leaders Tavistock have a four point lead after the Seagulls registered their second consecutive 0-0 draw.

[Featured image: Colin Bradbury / Cornwall Sports Media]

%d bloggers like this: