Truro City crash out of the FA cup in Wales

The White Tigers’ FA Cup journey ended on Saturday with defeat to fellow Southern League Premier side Merthyr Town.

Truro City’s Cameron Weldon reports.

Merthyr Town 5-2 Truro City

The White Tigers crashed out of the Emirates FA Cup on Saturday after falling to a 5-2 defeat in Wales at the Met Coaches Stadium.

Despite leading at the break it wasn’t to be for Truro as four second-half goals from the hosts sent them through to the Second Qualifying Round for the first time in three years.

In what was the first of two fixtures against the Martyrs in the space of seven days, City got off to the worst possible start as Jordan McCarthy turned the ball into his own net inside just three minutes.

Despite being behind Paul Wotton’s side dominated the first 45 minutes. Dan Sullivan saw a shot go high over the bar before Simeon Okoro ran at his man and forced the keeper into a good save.

Chances for both Shane White and Jack Rice followed while Okoro had the best opportunity of the game as he took a ball down but put the ball over the bar from close range.

Stanley Anaebonam was then presented a chance after a poor kick from the keeper but the Merthyr shot-stopper made a great save to redeem himself.

City did get their equaliser on 42 minutes as Sullivan charged into the box and tackled. The loose ball found its way to Okoro whose lofted finish levelled the scores.

Truro then took the lead two minutes later. Sullivan via the aid of a deflection saw a shot go into the bottom corner to give Truro a half-time lead.

Merthyr drew the game level early in the second half as Lewis Powell tapped home from close range following a cross from the right-hand side.

Powell was off celebrating again on the hour mark as he reclaimed his side’s lead as he dribbled past two defenders and then released a low shot into the bottom left corner.

Ismail Yakubu then headed home a fourth goal for the hosts from a free kick as he rose highest to knock the ball past James Hamon in the City goal.

Merthyr added a fifth goal to cap off a fantastic second-half performance with 10 minutes to play. Ricardo Rees got the better of Charlie Madden before rounding Hamon to tap into the empty net.

City had a late penalty appeal waved away as substitute Jacob Grange was bundled over in the box.

A disappointing day for Truro as they exit the FA Cup at the First Qualifying Round stage.

They will look to bounce back next weekend as they are once again at the Met Coaches Stadium taking on Paul Michael’s side, this time in the Southern League Premier South.

Truro – Hamon, Egan, Riley-Lowe, White (Madden 62), McCarthy, Knowles (Grange 82), Stephens, Sullivan, Rice (Neal 69), Anaebonam.

Yellows – Riley-Lowe, Stephens

Attendance – 339