Mousehole see off Torpoint to extend unbeaten run

Mousehole picked up from their impressive victory away to Barnstaple Town at the weekend, with a 3-0 victory over Torpoint Athletic, on what was a cold and windy Tuesday-night clash at Trungle Parc, writes Pablo Woolls-Blanco.

Mousehole came into the fixture unbeaten in 11 games, with the Seagulls’ last having tasted defeat back in August, when Tuesday night’s opponents Torpoint Athletic knocked them out of the FA Cup.

Mousehole dominated the first half, with heaps of ball possession, but were forced to scrap a bit in the second period, having only a one-goal lead until the 90th minute, when two goals in quick succession capped off what was another good evening at Trungle Parc.

Jake Ash lined his side up with new addition from Bude Town, Josh Baxter, at right-back, and the 20-year-old defender impressed on his full debut. Tallan Mitchell hugely impressed in midfield, while both Andy Watkins and Mark Goldsworthy started together in attack.

Mousehole were in complete control in the opening 45 minutes, leaving Torpoint without any chances, and without much of the ball either. Torpoint sat deep though, making it difficult for Mousehole to break them down and create clear-cut chances, although in-form winger Hayden Turner came close twice, before then bagging his fifth goal in three games just minutes before half-time, tucking the ball into an empty net after some fantastic play by Tallan Mitchell on the right-hand side.

Jake Ash’s side struggled to keep up such domination in the second half however and were unable to create many clear-cut opportunities as the game progressed, with Torpoint coming close to snatching an equaliser just ten minutes from time, as Mousehole goalkeeper Lewis Moyle was forced into making an impressive stop down at his near post.

As the clock struck 90’, Mousehole were able to secure what was a deserved victory on the night, following captain Jack Calver’s impressive long-range strike that looped over an out-of-position goalkeeper, following a poor clearance.

In the sixth minute of stoppage time, and just minutes after coming on, Kyle Fraser added a third, tapping in the rebound after his initial shot was saved, and after some good work from Louis Price down the Mousehole left.

On a night where Mousehole needed to solidify their third-place spot in the Western League Premier Division, the Seagulls did not falter, securing three points, three goals, and a clean sheet to go with it.

Up next for Mousehole is an away trip to Cadbury Heath, on Saturday afternoon.

%d bloggers like this: