Mousehole rescue priceless win with last-gasp goal

After three weeks of heavy rain and four consecutive fixture postponements, Mousehole returned to Western League action at Trungle Parc, where they snatched a last-gasp 2-1 victory over 16th-placed Welton Rovers, writes Pablo Woolls-Blanco.

The visitors entered the fixture having won just two games away from home, conceding 44 goals in the process, whereas Mousehole knew victory at Trungle Parc would send them just four points behind second-placed Bridgwater with a game in hand and two head-to-head clashes still to come.

The Seagulls, having not played a competitive fixture in nearly three weeks, struggled to find any sort of sustained rhythm throughout the 90 minutes, and left things very late to secure what was an imperative victory in the league. Despite going down to 10-men midway through the second half and conceding a very late equaliser, goals from new additions Jack Bray-Evans and then Harry Bell in the last minute were enough for Jake Ash’s side to keep all three points at home.

As might have been expected after so long without a competitive fixture, the game started in a rather slow manner, with Welton having the better start after the opening 15 minutes. It was Mousehole who took the lead however, as forward Bray-Evans pounced on to a flick on by Mark Goldsworthy, before bursting powerfully past the Welton defence and slotting expertly into the far corner on his left foot. That’s now two goals in his first three games for Mousehole.

The remainder of the first half was bitty and scrappy, with chances few and far between for either side. This theme continued into the second period, where Mousehole’s only chance was an attempt from Bray-Evans that came off the crossbar. By the hour-mark, Welton remained firmly in the game.

It was then when the away side nearly found their equaliser, after Toby Cole raced around Ollie Chenoweth in goal, only to be denied superbly on the line by Max Hill. Minutes later, Welton were handed a slice of fortune this time around, as Andrew Elcock, just off the bench for Mousehole, was sent off for what looked like a challenge that warranted a booking at most.

Mousehole were forced to dig in for the remainder of proceedings and seemed to be doing a pretty good job of holding firm, until an 88th-minute corner was headed back across goal by Joe Garland, where Owen Punselie was waiting to steer in on the goal line. Huge celebrations followed.

Just when two critical points looked lost for Mousehole, Jack Calver swung in a 96th minute free-kick that looped to the back post, where new signing Harry Bell, who had only just come off the bench to make his debut for Mousehole, rose highest to crash in an incredible last-gasp winner at Trungle Parc. An invaluable three points and a moment that Jake Ash’s side may well look back on come the end of the season.

[Featured image: Tim Richardson]